Converged Communications for Hybrid Networks
Today’s environment requires that utilities develop comprehensive communication networks to meet demanding and evolving user, geographic and regulatory requirements. This ever-changing landscape often forces utilities to work with a variety of technologies to reach their infrastructure assets.
GE has addressed this challenge with the MDS Orbit platform. This next generation industrial wireless communications solution integrates a range of technologies from cellular to private, and unlicensed to licensed narrowband, supporting customers’ needs for secure private, public and hybrid communications networks.
MDS Orbit Platform supports a diverse portfolio of industrial modems, routers and gateways to extend wireless network coverage in various spectrum and geographic conditions, providing 2G, 3G and 4G LTE cellular communications for public and private connectivity globally. MDS Orbit’s Licensed Narrowband (LN) Series radio with QAM and adaptive modulation, offer 6 times increase in speed, cutting edge performance and versatility in the 400 and 900 MHz frequency bands. MDS Orbit’s 900 MHz unlicensed Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) radio offers high throughput with low latency while supporting a variety of deployment topologies.
The MDS Orbit platform’s portfolio of radios are factory-configurable and available in two form factors, the dual-Wide Area Network (WAN) radio MCR (Multiservice-Connect Router) and the single-WAN radio ECR (Edge-Connect Router).
The MDS Orbit platform provides a comprehensive security framework to support three unique facets of enterprise requirements: device, user and network security. Meeting the needs for functional and application flexibility and ease of use, the MDS Orbit platform of products offer multiple interface options in a compact robust package which adapts freely to indoor and outdoor environments.
• Security capabilities include firewall, IPsec VPN, and certificate management
• Secure boot cryptographic signature of firmware to prevent compromising the device
• X.509 digital certificate management to simplify provisioning and lifecycle management
• Integration with enterprise security systems (RADIUS, AAA, SCEP, and Syslog)
Advanced System Performance
• Deterministic application performance enabled through advanced Quality of Service (QoS)
• Hardware accelerated switching and high performance processors minimize latency
• Designed for harsh, rugged environments
• Electro static discharge (ESD) protection
• Extended temperature range (-40°C to + 70°C)
• IEEE® 1613, and Class 1/Div 2 conformance
Ease of Use & Integration
• Interface options for application flexibility including 10/100 Ethernet and RS232/485 serial ports
• Easy to use interface reduces complexity of provisioning, maintenance, training, support
• Wide input voltage at 10-60 V DC offers flexibility in power distribution
• Command Line Interface (CLI) programming for advanced provisioning and operation
• USB console provides local, secure single point connection for device provisioning, configuration management and status monitoring